Establish or Discontinue Service

Residential Service

If you are moving into Pelham, water & sewer services can be set up before closing on your new property. The Deed is required within three to five business days after closing. If you are renting, leasing, or leasing to purchase, please supply a copy of your dated/signed Lease Agreement at the time of application. Please submit a copy of your driver's license or government-issued photo ID and your application. We will need a copy of each person's identification if applying with a co-applicant.

You may submit your application by mail, fax, or email. Payment must be received in our office before service is established. Please put "New Service" in the subject line if using email. A 24-hour business day notice is required to process your request. All documents and payments must be received in our office by 3:00 p.m. for service the next business day. Please call our office at 205.620.6420 with any questions; we'll gladly assist you.

Commercial Service

All new commercial accounts must provide a copy of the written Approval of Inspection and Verification of Compliance from the Building Official. Please call the Building Official at 205.620.6411 for assistance.

Commercial applicants must also have a valid City of Pelham Business License and Federal Identification Number. Please call our Finance Department at 205.620.6480 for assistance.

Download the Utility Service Application (PDF)

Discontinue Service

Requests to discontinue service are accepted Monday-Thursday. The deadline for next-day service is 3:00 p.m. the previous day. Complete the Discontinue Service Request form (PDF) and return it to Pelham Water Works at least one business day before your requested disconnect date.

You may submit this form by mail, fax, or email. Please put "Discontinue Service" in the subject line if using email. If you do not receive confirmation of service discontinuation, contact our office at 205.620.6420 during normal business hours to follow up on your request.